Thursday 3 May 2012

Consultant Appointment

I had my consultant appointment today and if I'm perfectly honest I found it a complete waste of time. The consultant was nice enough he just asked me how things are going which is fine I said I don't even feel pregnant to which I got a look that meant 'you weirdo!' . There was a midwife in the room who took my blood pressure which I am sure she said was 138/60 and it was 130/70 last time but when  I looked in the notes my consultant had written 110/60 so next time my blood pressure is going to shoot up a lot!!

All my blood tests came back clear and my urine sample was clear too.

I was booked in for my Glucose Tolerance Test which is on the 5th July, the nurse booking me in asked why were they doing it so I said family history, weight and polycystic ovaries. She remarked that she would be very surprised if I didn't have it as the only factor I didn't have is a previous pregnancy with diabetes. I am currently researching the best way to manage this now so that I don't get it or I can make it easier for me and my baby.

I also have to see an anesthetist, he didn't explain why and I'm assuming either everyone sees one or it is because of my weight.

My consultant has written to my GP to get them to prescribe me a low dose of aspirin to help blood pressure stay normal. I don't understand why he couldn't have given me a prescription for them.

My next appointment in with the midwife on 16th May.

3 comments:

  1. It's weird but it seems like these days nobody can give me a consistent blood pressure reading. The numbers are all over the place even within the same office and done repeated times. It makes me wonder how they can have any confidence in a hypertension diagnosis and start handing out pills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The meeting with the anesthetist will consist of weighing you so they can quickly give you the right amount if needed, they will measure you for the size of tube they might need and they check your spine. I had this with my daughter as my BMI was high.

    With your prams I would suggest a lot of research and reading of reviews. Decide exactly how it will be used i.e for us as neither of us drive it needed to have a good sized basket for shopping. We never bothered with using the car seat on the pram as a) it doesn't look comfortable and b) you are only meant to leave babies in car seats for a maximum of 2 hours because of their spines. Have you looked into the bases you can get for car seats? Not sure of the name but it basically makes it a lot easier to get the seat it - just a case of clipping it onto the base rather than faff around with the seat belt each time.

    Anyway hope pregnancy is treating you good and good like the the gtt - the worst bit is drinking the lucazade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know about the anesthetist appointment. I'm not looking forward to the GTT, it's more the waiting around for a couple of hours to have the second lot of bloods done.

      We have chosen a pram, we both drive a lot so a car seat is idea, I know that they aren't meant to be in it for more than 2 hours and for the first few months if we are going to be out and about longer than that we will use the carrycot and after that use the pram seat. I wanted the uppababy vista but it's too expensive so settled on the babies r us jig, which comes with everything for £350. We did look at the isofix bases but to be honest the carseat is very easy to put in with the seatbelt, the isofix things are around £80 so don't see the point when the seatbelt does the job. The reviews on the jig are good apart from one that said the seat was difficult to put on and that you need two people to set up the pram but we played around with it plenty in the shop on a couple of occasions and it's easy enough so decided reviewer was a moron.

      Delete