Sunday 29 July 2012

Birth Weight

Even when not pregnant I'm a sucker for articles in the news about health especially those that have had studies. I came across this article this morning in the Daily Mail. It explains that Mothers who work late into their pregnancy, that is, work into their ninth month are more likely to have babies with low birth weight and the effects have been described as 'equal to that of smoking whilst pregnant'

I fail to see how working longer can be as dangerous that taking toxic chemicals into your body on a daily basis, most women working late into pregnancy have to do it and most will have understanding work places that will not demand as much from you. The reality is most women have to work this late because Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP) is a measly £135.35 a week and most will want more time off after the baby is born. I am in a lucky position that I will remain on full pay for 18 weeks and I have decided to take another 8 weeks off on SMP followed by 2 weeks annual leave. Whilst on SMP it will be a stuggle and I will have to keep things tight so I have enough to cover the bills and the basics, this is something I am willing to do to spend as much time as I can with my baby.

Other things that can affect birth weight are caffeine that will give you low birth rate, being overweight that will give you a high birth weight and now with having gestational diabetes this can cause a high birth rate. I still drink caffeine (within what is allowed most days),  I am overweight, have gestational diabetes and will be working up until I am 37 1/2 weeks. I am wondering if the things I'm doing will cancel each other out and I will have a baby with a normal birth weight!

No comments:

Post a Comment