Saturday 28 July 2012

Gestational Diabetes update

I had my appointment last Wednesday and I have been put on metformin as I was still unable to control my morning glucose levels. I was fully expecting this, even the Dr said he could tell by my face I was expecting it. I have to take 500mg with breakfast and 500mg with my evening meal for two weeks, after that I will have to up the dose to 1g. The Dr said overall my average glucose levels were fine and he wasn't concerned about what I was eating, he also said that it is common for people with gestational diabetes to have raised morning levels. My urine this time was free on ketones but did have a trace of glucose which again was expected as I had my breakfast just before leaving for the hospital. I go back in three weeks for a check up and if it is still bad I will have to go on insulin.

I also saw the obstetrician who just checked I was OK, my blood pressure was 128/70 and also did a mini scan on the baby which showed it is still wriggling around a lot. I asked about when I should be feeling regular movements and big kicks, he didn't really answer me and just said that baby is healthy and moving. I do feel it a lot more now, in fact yesterday it didn't seem to stop. I am still not being kicked really hard just lots of wriggles and the odd small kick. I have my next growth scan next week and hoping to see that baby is measuring good for it's age rather than being bigger (or smaller). My main worry is having a baby that is really big as I will probably end up with a c-section which I really don't want.


I am now 28+2 which means less that 12 weeks before my baby is due and another 8-9 weeks left in work if all goes well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment