Monday 2 July 2012

What's in a name?

First off this isn't meant to cause any offence to anyone it is my opinions and people may have the same feelings about my shortlist of names. It's just I feel that naming a child is a really important job as generally it stays with you for life.I have come across a lot of names whilst looking around and below is a list I have taken a particular dislike to.


Dexter - this is a surname, one of my good friends is a Dexter so this should stay as a surname.
Lewis - this is my own surname, should not be used as a first name.
Remie - just reminds me of being at school when the name 'rem' was used to describe someone being thick/stupid.
Wesley - this wrong, no reason, just wrong.
Molly - this isn't as bad as other's mentioned but when you team it with May it becomes hideous.
Daisy -  this is a lovely name for a baby/child but could you really take an adult seriously with a name like Daisy? "Nice to meet you PC Daisy" it just doesn't work. A friend of mine wants to call their baby Daisy Jane! aarrgghh.
Jasper -this reminds me of Jasper Carrott.
Brodie -  is this even a name?


However, I think this proves just why I am struggling to come up with names and it is possible I will end up hating my shortlist and liking a name I have completely dismissed. For example, a work colleagues daughter had a daughter and called her Darcy which I thought was hideous but now thinking about it I wouldn't mind calling any daughter of mine Darcy.

I hope you have all taken this with a pinch of salt and are not offended by what I have written I am an awkward person who changes her mind frequently and it's more than likely in a few years I will regret whatever name I have chosen. At least I still have just over 15 weeks to make decisions. Plus, to be fair, I would never tell anyone to their face I hated their child's name as it's all down to personal opnion

1 comment:

  1. I would have a really hard time deciding on a name. That being said, it seems I'm often the one who chooses names for family pets! I'd for sure take a lot of time and thought in choosing a name. In my case, I was ridiculed through most of my schooling due to my name (which is the same as a puppet on the children's show "Sesame Street"). And my full name (not Bert) is also ridiculous and odd, doesn't fit in with modern names. I've thought many times about getting it legally changed but then it seems like too much trouble.

    ReplyDelete